Immigration Resources

south florida Immigration lawyer

K- 3 and K- 4 Visas

The LIFE Act amendments that were passed in 2000 established a new nonimmigrant category that allows the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen to be admitted to the United States in a nonimmigrant category: a K-3 visa (for spouses) and a K-4 visa for unmarried children of the spouse under 21. If you are the spouse or child (under 21) of a U.S. citizen and you are outside of the U.S., you may apply for a K-3/K-4 visa, enter the U.S., and complete processing for permanent residence after you arrive in the U.S. As a K-3/K-4 visa holder, you may also be granted work authorization while you are waiting for your case to be processed for permanent resident status.

You may receive a K-3 visa if:

The K-3/K-4 visa will be processed in the U.S. consulate in the country in which your marriage to the U.S. citizen took place – if the United States has a consulate which issues immigrant visas in that country. If you were married in the U.S. and you are now outside of the U.S., the designated consulate is the one with jurisdiction over your current residence.

Once the K-3/K-4 relatives arrive in the U.S., they will have to apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident. Although the U.S. citizen sponsor does not need to file separate I-129F forms for the K-4 children, the law requires that the K-4 children still have approved immigrant visa petitions, which must either be filed by the U.S. citizen or the K-3 spouse, once his/her status is adjusted. The easier and more advisable way to do this is to have the U.S. citizen file a separate I-130 petition (as the step-parent) for each of the K-4 children (at the same time as filing the I-130 for the K-3 spouse). Once those petitions are approved, the K-4 children’s status can be adjusted along with the K-3 spouse.

If you have any questions, contact South Florida Immigration Lawyer Sean D. Hummel at (954) 385-3111.

request a consultation

All fields are required. Please fill out the form and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

office location

The Law Offices of Sean D. Hummel

1701 West Hillsboro Boulevard
Suite #203
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
get directions